Monday, June 23, 2008

Chicago mini-vacay

Frank had a two-day training event in downtown Chicago last week so we all went! Sophie and I spent the days together playing in the city while Frank was in training sessions. The weather could NOT have been more perfect, either! Blue skies, sunshine, cool breeze, mid-to-high 70's... just beautiful!

We arrived at our hotel Sunday afternoon and took a nice walk down to LSD just before sunset. I got some great photos of Buckingham Fountain (below).




On Monday, Sophie and I took a water taxi (which was only 3 blocks from our hotel!) down the Chicago River to Navy Pier. Sophie loved the boat ride - and so did I! We explored the pier for a bit then we spent a couple of hours in the Children's Museum. It's a shame they're planning on moving the museum. I think the pier is a great place for it. I was glad it was there!




Above: That huge glass monstrosity on the right is the new Trump Tower.
Below: This is us on the water taxi.



After that, Sophie asked to go on the ferris wheel. I didn't know if I should take her on it or not; it's definitely not MY idea of a good time and I didn't know how she would do way up there but she really wanted to go. So we went. And she loved it! I didn't have to keep her from trying to jump out the car like I'd feared; she was very well-behaved actually. (Thank God!)



This is me holding on for dear life.



After the ferris wheel, we took a quick ride on the carousel where she pointed to a lion behind her (she rode the rabbit) and told me to go sit down and quit hovering around her as she rode. We had lunch at McDonald's, then we met Daddy at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. when he got out of training.




On Tuesday, I got in touch with one of my really good seller-friends from Etsy who lives close to the city and we decided to meet up for the first time! It was so good to meet her! She brought her son and we took the kids to see a Zula Patrol movie in the huge Star Ryder theater, which they loved. We walked around on the beach just behind the planetarium for a bit and stopped in at the cafe for a snack.

Afterwards, we met Daddy again and took a water taxi back over to Navy Pier to have dinner. This time we ate at Charlie's Ale House. Then it was a taxi back to the hotel seeing as we were all too tired to walk allllll the way back to the hotel and Sophie kept wanting to be carried. It was a fantastic mini-vacation... well, for me and Sophie at least! I think Frank had a good time too -- when he wasn't in training.

2 comments:

Ruby Clover said...

YAY!@

I loved that day too and it WAS totally PERFECT weather (even though I got mega burnt!!)

Susan, Frank, and Sophie said...

Me too! But it was fantastic, wasn't it? WHat a fun day!