Sunday, December 07, 2008

Now that it's TIME for Christmas music...

It seems there's more stations playing Christmas music this year than in past years. Or maybe it's just my imagination. I don't know. But either way, I've been hearing a lot of it lately and in all the time I've spent listening, I've been taking mental notes on the songs I like best. There are so many that are overplayed and often just downright awful. (Mannheim Steamroller, anyone?) So here's my own personal Top 10 List of favorite Christmas songs. Enjoy!

10. You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch by Thurl Ravenscroft
Such a fun song, I just love how he comes up with so many delicious descriptions!

9. Sleigh Ride by Harry Connick, Jr.
Like Frank Sinatra, I love anything HCJ sings but this big band/swing version is probably my favorite rendition of this song.

8. Baby It's Cold Outside by Leon Redbone and Zooey Deschanel
This, too, is my favorite version of this song. The Dean Martin one creeps me out, but this one is lovely. You can find it in the movie
Elf.

7. Mele Kalikimaka by Bing Crosby
I could dance to this song all day long. Found, also, in the movie Christmas Vacation.

6. Up on the Housetop
I'm not sure who sings this, especially since there are so many versions (Gene Autry?) but I remember learning this song in school when I was little. Good times.

5. Happy Christmas (War is Over) by John Lennon
The melody is so pretty, and of course so is his voice. Lovely song.

4. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen by Sarah McLachlan and Barenaked Ladies
Oh how I love the Barenaked Ladies. This is a fun new re-do of this song! And Sarah McLachlan's amazing voice blends well in the mix; I think she was born to sing Christmas carols.

3. O Come All Ye Faithful (Adeste Fidelis) by Nat King Cole
Speaking of amazing voices, Nat King Cole... just beautiful.

2. Dominick the Italian Christmas Donkey by Lou Monte
This one is relatively new on my radar having heard it for the first time only a few years ago, but it's definitely high on my list! Possibly the funnest Christmas song EVER.


and drumroll please...


1. All I Want for Christmas is You by Mariah Carey
I love, love, love this song. Between the arrangement and her voice, it's magical!

---------------------------------------------


Hear the songs here:


All I Want For Christmas:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA8UHeoYHQM

Dominick the Italian Christmas Donkey: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQrdxtWgHbE

O Come All Ye Faithful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ4CT0Rh7z4

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBHrmDRffyU

Happy Christmas (War is Over): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xV7GmbUARI

Up on the Rooftop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5auBkT84N4

Mele Kalikimaka: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM5iiuQOMyg

Baby It's Cold Outside: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJWSDeP4k-M

Sleigh Ride: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCUwpKspFG0

You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPBS7dVrE1U

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Several of these songs don't mention Rudolph. He's the reason for the season! If it wasn't for his red nose lighting the way, there wouldn't BE a Christmas. Hmpfh.

Susan, Frank, and Sophie said...

Ummmm... Up on the Housetop? Hmmph to you, sir!